Tuesday, September 25, 2007

The Fall

The last time I started to see the trees turning color, Bill was with me. One day last fall we decided to make the great effort to go for a drive. Getting him into the car was a difficult and somewhat dangerous process, but we always thought it was worth it for adventure's sake. The drive we went on that day was glorious. The weather perfectly warm, the trees all shades of yellow, orange and red. He was happy. I was happy. And as it happened, it turned out to be our last car ride together.

Now the trees are turning again and the memories of the last eighteen years find a way of dropping into my mind like the thousands of cottonwood leaves rustling their way to the ground under that old tree across the yard from me.

The memories always make me turn to our old photo albums, my old journals, our videos that prove we had a life together before this loss. We have all these things right here at our fingertips, but this week a great grace came to me. I was reminded in a gentle way that Bill's parents, brothers, sisters, aunts and uncles, his friends don't have these comforts to turn to when they start missing Bill. Not only do they feel his absence but they have to do it in that mental darkness that takes over our memory when someone has been away for awhile. We start forgetting what they look like, the shape of their faces, the expressions we once knew intimately are faded. Their voice is all but forgotten.

So it was a great grace this week to have Bill's mom call and tell me how she's missing Bill and would I gather the photo albums, the "Three Wishes" scrapbook Stella made and the DVD so she can spend some time remembering. How glad I am that she feels free to let me help her grieve. Bill, please pray for us as the leaves fall and we remember loosing you.

5 comments:

DeAnn said...

It's nice to hear about your memories together. Those are the times you'll always have with you, in your heart.

Annie said...

Thank you.

I lost a close family friend -- a father figure -- about two days ago.

Nothing at all like losing a husband, but reading about memories and grieving and sharing in the process helped.

Thank you. Enjoy the fall.

Anonymous said...

Jackie,

I love you and your profound insights.

I also love Dorothy and her love for Bill.

Victoria

Anonymous said...

I <3 you mommy

Joyful Catholic said...

I don't think we've met, but I am a member of Pro Sanctity and just was at their blog and read you had a blog, so I came here. I might have met you at a retreat? If not, you look familiar, so maybe it's the Blood relation of Jesus.

I thank you for this post. You write beautifully and I hope to meet someday. I LOVE Autumn, it's my favorite season. My husband and I have had 32 years together this March. We enjoy taking Sunday drives and day trips. We love taking the backroads, the byways all over when we travel to Texas to see our son, or just in Nebraska for a pilgrimage to visit our Lord in the gorgeous prairie gems, the Houses of God that our forefathers built to honor the Lord.

God bless you and please visit me at either of my blogs.

May Our Lady of Trust fill your heart today with the light of HOPE. And thank God for the gift of His Church that gives us the Communion of Saints, for although you miss your husband's physical presence, I know he's with you in a profound way, in spirit more close in a way now than ever before. He is indeed praying for you and his dear children and family.
PAX,
susie

http://underthepoetree.blogspot.com
http://revertconvert.blogspot.com