Wednesday, May 24, 2006

More...

Has this ever happened to you? In the middle of an emotional eating binge you have a moments clarity where you realize what you're doing and ask yourself, "What is it that I am desiring as I put my hand in this can of nuts (or spoon in this carton of ice cream or whatever...feel free to name your vice here) and then into my mouth?" I did this the other day when I (by GRACE... period) realized that at no point EVER would the time come when I didn't want another bite of whatever I was grazing on.

Do you know what my answer to the desire question was? More. All I wanted was more. And every bite after that first question was answered rendered the same response ...more....more...more (ok, it's late...I'm starting to sound like Billy Idol).

When I went to prayer later that day the word more kept running through my mind so as I related to the Father my desire for more the question that came back to me was, "More what or more Whom?" My desire is for the infinite and nuts, M&M's, ice cream etc. are not infinite therefore I will never be satisfied with them when all I want is MORE.

Jesus, you are the More of universe. You are the More I desire. You are the only More my emptiness craves.

What's in the more you're desiring?

2 comments:

Anne said...

GREAT post! I can relate all too well....You've got me thinking (which is a good thing!).

Anonymous said...

excellent. you put into words what I was feeling!

Awhile ago I realized while eating some fries - and clearing my plate of them - "what if there was a neverending supply of fries..that my plate was continually replenished and was never empty?" and came to the conclusion that I would have to figure out when I was physically full. And to ignore the avalanche of fries in front of me (figuratively speaking) and stop when satisfied.


Thank goodness God supplies us with a never ending abundance of grace, mercy, love, forgiveness, peace and so much more!

I learned I needed to stop the dependence on food and in exchange, accept more of what God offers every day.


Am new to your blog and looking forward to future posts :)